The inability to recognize risks associated with possible criminal actions can have serious consequences for businesses, both in terms of criminal liability, administrative sanctions and additional taxes, as well as in relation to the company's reputation. Board members may also be subjected to responsibility for wrongdoings on an individual basis.
Thommessen has a dedicated team of lawyers with diverse backgrounds, expertise, and practical experience. We provide comprehensive assistance related to administrative sanctions and criminal liability. Our lawyers have experience from key government agencies such as the Financial Supervisory Authority, the Norwegian Police Security Service (PST), the Consumer Authority, the Competition Authority, the National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime (Økokrim), and the general prosecution authority. Additionally, several of our lawyers have served as defence counsels in major financial criminal cases, involving crimes such as corruption, tax evasion, fraud, and violations of securities trading regulations.
Our expertise includes, among other:
- Fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, corruption and a range of other economic crimes
- Insider dealing and market manipulation.
- Illegal price cooperation and other breaches of competition law
- Cybercrime committed by both state and private actors
- Violations of export control and sanction regulations, as well as illegal intelligence gathering
- Environmental crimes